Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Study In Gin, Part II


For a long time I underestimated the small pleasure of an evening cocktail before (or during) dinner. I used to scoff at Happy Hour crowds, and harshly judge the Moms sitting with their glasses of wine while their kids eat dinner. That all changed once I had my own children. Every drink is definitely well earned, and a salute to getting through the week - whether it was filled with peals of laughter, or with many more little temper tantrums than I would prefer.

Our newest cocktail experiment is a combination of delicious gin and raspberry liqueur. Hendrick's Gin & Chambord make a lovely combination with a splash of lime and tonic. This Raspberry Gin Fizz is a light & fruity drink, perfect for beginning dinner, or sipping with friends.


Be sure to find 'Straight to the Hips, Baby' on Twitter & Facebook, for first looks and fun foodie topics!

Also, our friends at Macaroni Kid, Enfield, CT, have a great weekly newsletter featuring family friendly events, articles, & STTHBaby's recipes. This is a great resource for Western Massachusetts & Northwestern Connecticut families! 

Raspberry Gin Fizz
makes 1 martini glass


4 ounces Hendrick's Gin
1 tablespoon Chambord
1 teaspoon super fine sugar*
3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
tonic water
raspberries for garnish
ice



Fill a shaker (yes, I retired my jam jar!) with ice. Pour the gin and Chambord over the ice. Add the super fine sugar and fresh lime juice. Close the shaker up and give it a vigorous couple of shakes. Strain over a chilled martini glass and fill the remaining with tonic water to the brim. Garnish with fresh raspberries. 





* If super fine sugar isn't readily available, pull out your handy mortar & pestle and grind down regular table sugar. 


2 comments:

  1. This is painfully gorgeous. Cocktails can be so difficult to shoot, but you totally nailed it. I'm also dying--DYING--over that pouring-Chambord shot. So lovely. Also, raspberries in cocktails? I'm such a sucker for 'em.. give me four, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow, thank you! This one was a beauty and we had great natural light that day. I'm so glad you liked the post- I always wonder if I should feature cocktails or not. I have a true weakness for fruit based drinks and this was delicious! Come on over, I'll make a batch for you :)

      Delete