Saturday, February 1, 2014

Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce



Making homemade versions of easy, convenient, store bought foods can be tricky sometimes. We've all come to rely on convenient, ready-made, over processed, and preservative added foods in our hectic fast paced lives. I am completely guilty of this, especially before I had kids. As I've started to become more aware of what I serve to the tots, my feelings about mass produced items has changed. If I have time to make it, I try... sometimes it's an epic failure, but darn it, I try!

This enchilada sauce recipe is most definitely not a "fail"! My family loved it in the Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchiladas I made a few days ago. It's spicy, rich, and has a lot of depth of flavor for a sauce that takes minimal time on the stove. I did tweak it a bit to suit our tastes and I also made it vegetarian (and I guess kosher as well) by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. This sauce can also be vegan if you omit the sour cream.

After this experiment with the homemade, I don't think I will be using the canned enchilada sauce of my past. The "real" stuff is just too good and too easy!


Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
modified from SkinnyTaste.com

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon (sauce) chipotle chilies in adobo sauce + 1 chili
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons low fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Bring to temperature and sauté garlic until fragrant. Do not brown. Add the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, chipotle sauce + chipotle pepper, chili powder, cumin, and salt & pepper. Stir well and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until the flavors have blended. Adjust salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Once cooled, transfer the sauce to a large bowl or container. Take a hand blender and blend until smooth. The sauce may be blended in a standard blender as well, in small batches. Mix in the 3 tablespoons of sour cream until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the enchiladas.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment